Many people feel sad throughout their lives. It’s a very normal reaction to abrupt changes, transitions, loss or other personal challenges. Life can be tough and sometimes sadness can last longer than we expect it to. Depression is described as sadness most of the time, loss of interest in activities, and impairment of functioning in daily activities.
How to know if you need help with managing your depression:
- Fatigue/ energy loss nearly every day
- Difficulty concentrating and indecisiveness
- Recurrent thoughts of wanting to be dead or suicide
- Feeling purposeless or worthlessness
- Feeling hopeless or helpless
- Persistent feelings of guilt
- Decrease or increase in appetite causing significant weight loss or weight gain
- Low self-esteem
- Isolation and irritability
Sadness is an emotion we are hardwired to have. However, it is a very painful emotion and one that we are not meant to experience all or most of the time. Therapy can help someone experiencing intense sadness learn how to challenge their depressive thoughts and behaviors and let go of their pain.